The Penndulum

The Student News Site of Pennridge High School

Breaking News
  • April 18Check out The Daily Ramble linked below for important information on our RAMS Block trial next week!

The Penndulum

The Penndulum

End of an Era

Keira Horensky
Pennridge Men’s Lacrosse Senior Night ceremony.

“Let’s give a warm Pennridge welcome to our seniors…” were the words that rang across Helman Field on April 25, 2024. This wasn’t just another game for the Pennridge Men’s Lacrosse team or the fans in the stands. It was Senior Night. For the ten seniors on the team, this game meant more than they could ever imagine, as it reflected on all of their journeys that have made them the players they are today. This was one of the last games before they all moved on to the next chapter of their lives.

Cooper States will be attending Temple University in the fall, Liam Molyneux and Matt Seiler at the University of Alabama, Tyler Vandermark at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Will Howley at Ohio State University, Owen Miller joining the workforce, and Luke Benedict joining the Army. Three seniors will continue their lacrosse careers after high school is over: Frankie Fanelli at Eastern University, Matt Kriney at Muhlenberg College, and Ryan Carickhoff at Catholic University.

Throughout the exciting and joyful night, everyone knew they were there for one thing; to commemorate the achievements that each senior on the team had accomplished. When walking out with their families, the boys had recordings playing of their parents telling them how proud of them they are and how they can’t wait to see what their future holds. When asked about his thoughts on his lacrosse career at Pennridge coming to an end, senior Matt Kriney said, “I’m sad that it has to come to an end but I’m so proud of what we’ve accomplished.” The ceremony that started at 6:45 p.m. was very touching, especially for the players and loved ones who had a difficult past year but still persevered to get to where they are today. To celebrate all these accomplishments, the Booster Club and family and friends were ready for a festive night. With 50 Chick-fil-A sandwiches, 50 Chick-fil-A nuggets, hot dogs, soft pretzels, and candy, there was no way the fans would go hungry, especially with the fun games that accompanied it. Two women’s lacrosse players, Ava Fantaskey and Caolin Carickhoff, dressed up as hot dogs for a free hot dog giveaway. During half time, while listening to some sick beats from Funcle Tony, freshman Evan Vandermark was put in goal while students in inflatable costumes tried to score. Once they all scored, soft pretzels were handed out for free.

Coming off of an incredible 2023 season, the varsity men’s lacrosse team had no doubt that 2024 would be another good season for them. Having a 17-3 record last year, an overall ranking of 9/43, and ranked #1 in the Continental Conference, the boys were looking forward to playing Council Rock North on their senior night. CR North had a record of 9-4 in 2023, an overall ranking of 14/43, and was ranked #2 in the Continental Conference. When the two teams played last year on April 27, Pennridge won 17-12. This year, Pennridge is currently ranked 6/43 in the PIAA D1 3A Boys Lacrosse with a record of 11-2, and CR North is ranked 11/43 in the PIAA D1 3A Boys Lacrosse. The Rams continued their winning streak by beating CR North on their senior night, 15-3. Out of the seniors, three goals were made by Kriney, four by Seiler, and six by Carickhoff. Goalie Tyler Vandermark made 14 saves which got his career total to 669.

However, it’s not always about how well the boys play. The ten seniors make a huge impact on and off the field. When asked what the seniors mean to the team, freshman James Ross said, “They contribute with their good playing, but just as importantly their leadership, advice, and team dynamic.” Referring to next season, Ross said, “It’ll be tough. What they provide to the team on and off the field is hard to replace.” The seniors of the class of 2024 on the Pennridge Men’s Lacrosse team will be greatly missed by players, coaches, family, and friends, however, they will never be forgotten. Any underclassman who puts on their jerseys’ in the upcoming seasons has some very big shoes to fill.

Sources:

https://www.piaad1.org/sports/spring-sports/lacrosse-b/scores-and-rankings/
https://suburbanonesports.com/standings/22
https://www.maxpreps.com/pa/perkasie/pennridge-rams/lacrosse/22-23/schedule/
https://www.maxpreps.com/pa/association/piaa-district-i/lacrosse/22-23/rankings/1/
2024 Pennridge Men’s Lacrosse Paper Roster
Pennridge Men’s Lacrosse Instagram
Pennridge Men’s Lacrosse Booster Club