The Penndulum

The Student News Site of Pennridge High School

Breaking News
  • April 18Check out The Daily Ramble linked below for important information on our RAMS Block trial next week!

The Penndulum

The Penndulum

New Year, New Me

How to set a realistic resolution

Each year over 87.82 million U.S. adults set a New Year’s resolution, but only 9% tend to stick to their resolutions. The start of a new year is the perfect time for many to set goals and acknowledge the changes they want to make for themselves and their lives. This year is the year of sticking to your resolution and here is how.

48% of resolutions are to improve fitness. In March of 2022, Maria Lera-Lozano began her fitness journey in the gym. Lera-Lozano has always been a runner but decided she wanted to also put on muscle to improve her physical appearance. She began working out with a friend which helped her to show up even on days when she felt she was too tired. Lera-Lozano has found herself in the gym, she said, “Being stronger gives me confidence in myself”. Continuing to show herself she can do better and get stronger is what helped her keep going. Lera-Lozano recommends that to stick to your goal, you need to find one that suits your routine. If you tell yourself that you want to go to the gym more, a set number of days you will go can contribute to being consistent.

John Pappas similarly began his fitness journey. Pappas began regularly jogging and cycling to improve his endurance. Prior to a knee injury, Pappas would regularly run half marathons and bike over 50 miles a week in his regularly scheduled training. However, this was only possible by remaining consistent. Pappas acknowledged that taking rest days or a mental day is crucial to one’s performance. Pappas said that, “When we went on vacation to the beach, I knew I would not be able to run every day we were down there (5 days). Instead, I told myself I would run two.” By setting himself a realistic and achievable goal, he was still able to work towards his overall end goal and be flexible with his schedule.

A large part of setting a resolution is deciding on one that is realistic for you and your lifestyle. Seeing an influencer on social media and deciding that you want to look like them is not a good way to set a resolution. Instead, focus on ways you can improve your health, and a different image for each person. Whether it is walking, running, lifting, or cycling, choose a structured plan that allows flexibility. Missing a day is not the end of it all, but falling into the downward spiral can be. Here are a few steps to help in your fitness-related resolution:

1. Find a way to move your body that you enjoy and can see yourself doing in the future.
  2. Determine the number of days you want to move your body.
  3. Have an end goal. If you are beginning to run, set yourself up to run a 5k or 10k. If you are lifting, set your goal to bench a plate or squat a certain amount.
  4. Make your goal realistic. Setting a goal outside of what is realistically achievable can leave you feeling defeated and wanting to quit.
  5. Have fun with your resolution. Fitness should be an enjoyable part of one’s day where you can clear your mind and do something beneficial for your body.

Sources:

https://www.forbes.com/health/mind/new-years-resolutions-statistics/

https://www.driveresearch.com/market-research-company-blog/new-years-resolutions-statistics/#:~:text=Just%209%25%20of%20adults%20keep,first%20week%20of%20the%20year.

https://today.yougov.com/society/articles/48233-what-are-americans-new-years-resolutions-for-2024-poll