The Penndulum

The Student News Site of Pennridge High School

Breaking News
  • April 18Check out The Daily Ramble linked below for important information on our RAMS Block trial next week!

The Penndulum

The Penndulum

Quakertown Farmer’s Market

Various sections of the Quakertown Farmers Market
Alex Blount and Hudson Poe

Anyone looking for unique goods or entertainment can experience the Quakertown Farmer’s Market every weekend. With hours spanning Friday through Sunday, this historic location is enjoyed by locals and tourists. It is an attraction where you can get your hair done, purchase jewelry, spend some time in an arcade, and grab over 12 different flavors of pickles under one roof. For 90 years, the Quakertown Farmer’s Market has hosted merchants and patrons from Bucks County and beyond. Starting as a general merchandise auction in 1932, the Quakertown Farmer’s Market has grown to a 225,000-square-foot indoor and outdoor market with over 100 departments. The market hosts thousands of visitors weekly, where they can shop for groceries, enjoy a meal, purchase crafts, and listen to live music.

The main building of the farmer’s market brings 173,000 square feet of crafts, food, and entertainment to its weekly visitors. While the farmer’s market is only open Friday through Sunday, one-third of the main building is open seven days per week, selling discount groceries. The market boasts unique and affordable goods in a family-friendly environment. Tonya Schan, a local vendor of Lou’s Surplus, commented, “Every week, we are here on at least Wednesday to straighten up.” They go to Chambersburg every few months, stating, “It’s not just working Friday, Saturday and Sunday.”

The Quakertown Farmer’s Market consistently draws large crowds. Vendors come and go and expand their products and services to meet changing consumer tastes. Anyone who hasn’t been to the market in a few years will notice newly renovated buildings and landscapes. The walls of the market are adorned with old newspaper clippings, photos of visiting politicians, and the original land deed from the family of William Penn. With its modern look, this historic attraction has changed significantly from the original lot, where farmers came to sell their goods from the back of their trucks. Still, it remains a landmark that so many in the community visit to purchase unique goods and services, as well as for family-friendly entertainment.

Connie Banks is a regular at the Quakertown Farmer’s Market. She comes two to three times per month to enjoy the commodities offered. Connie states, “There are a lot of odd things here that you can’t find anywhere else.” She enjoys “the fresh meat department because of the quality and the price and a giant variety.” Banks finds many good deals, which keeps her shopping at the Quakertown Farmer’s Market. Judging from the crowds that continue to pack the Quakertown Farmer’s Market week after week, many people agree that this is a great place for deals and to interact with vendors and locals in the community.

Sources:

https://www.quakertownfarmersmkt.com/
https://www.usda.gov/media/blog/2013/08/05/farmers-markets-community-centerpieces

About Farmers Markets