2000’s Nostalgia

Cara Hess, Staff Writer

Many teenagers have been influenced by differing toys and objects from their childhood.  These objects represent positive, fun moments experienced at younger ages. As an individual grows older, that youthful spark tends to die down and is replaced with the burdens of high school.  An escape from this stress-ridden reality, into one’s previous, prepubescent mindset, always seems much needed! So, after conducting some research, a walk down memory lane seems to be the perfect remedy.  What better way to escape stress than by reflecting back on “the good ol’ days”? So drop your books, coursework, and homework, and sit back, relax, and prepare for a mental journey through the most memorable aspects of 2000’s childhood.

Polly Pockets:

Every teenager who grew up in the early 2000s remembers Polly Pockets.  These miniature, plastic toys adorned with painted faces were a staple attribution to a commoner’s toybox.  Polly Pockets provided enjoyment in designing different outfits, creating imaginable stories between the dolls, and more. Regardless of their “pocket” size, Polly Pockets left a lasting impression on children worl dwide.  So where did this famous toy originate from? In 1989, a toy company named Bluebird Toys of Swindon in England proposed and produced the original prototype of the phenomenon we recognize today. After gaining more popularity, the toy company sold the rights of Polly Pockets to an American company, Mattel, shortly thereafter.  Contrary to popular belief, Polly Pockets were originally smaller than they are manufactured today! Under the production of Bluebird Toys, the plastic dolls were smaller in size due to the fact that they were designed, to quite literally, fit in one’s pocket. The main objective was to create a model of this size so that children could have a reliable toy on the go.  However, Mattel slightly shifted this focus by creating the dolls to be slightly larger in size, while still keeping the integrity of the initiative. Although they were thriving in the toy market and flying off shelves initially, the sales of Polly Pockets began to die down; leading to their discontinuity in 2015. Fortunately, in 2018 the dolls made a comeback, but this time, modified with flexible plastic legs designed to bend easily.  Only true 2000’s children will remember the original Polly Pockets in all their glory.

Webkinz:

To all my fellow classmates reading this, do we even have to explain this one?  Webkinz were mass-produced stuffed animals made by the Canadian company, Ganz, in 2005.  Each animal, upon purchase, came with a specific “secret code” attached to allow consumers to create a virtual reality for their new pet on the Webkinz World website.  Webkinz were loved by millions of children. Online, each user had the ability to bathe their pet, take it to the doctor, enter it in competitions such as hairdressing, cooking, beauty and running, and a long list of other fun activities.  Pennridge Senior Autumn Kitabjian elaborated on her personal experience, recalling “calling my friend on the house phone to try to get into the same fashion show contest game.” Autumn, as well as many other teenagers, can relate to similar scenarios, not to mention the ability to personalize accounts by naming the pet, buying desired clothing or food, and designing a house/habitat for it to live in.  If a Webkinz user had more than one pet, all Webkinz under that specific username could interact however the user would like. Children became so engrossed into the world that Ganz had created that the company hit a personal record of selling upwards of one million products in 2006, just one year after the brand’s release. Even today, some teenagers are known to log back into their Webkinz accounts to reminisce all the hours they spent in Webkinz World.

Tech Decks:

For all of the young men and tomgirls out there, this particular toy may resonate with you!  Tech Decks were small, plastic-wheeled skateboards that were sold with pairing ramps for children to test their skating skills on a handheld level.  Tech Decks measured about the width of a person’s palm and were designed to be played with two fingers. By placing pointer and middle fingers from one hand on opposite ends of the skateboard, consumers could shift the pressure exerted on either end, resulting in flips, spins or simply catching air with the skateboard.  This toy was introduced in 1990, following the popular trend of “fingerboarding” that had been around since the 1960s; and although the concept was aged, tech-decks brought the trend back to life. “I remember in elementary school boys would run with their mini skateboards,” Kayla Richards commented, “[they] would do ‘tricks’ on their desks.”

Nintendo DS:

This is where the common love for Mario and Nintendo games took off!  Released globally in 2004 and 2005, DS’s were equipped with two LCD dual screens: one for viewing and the other for a touchscreen experience.  Kids were constantly obsessed with the device’s electronic, visual and interactive features. On this device, owners could play Nintendo games designed for the model, and also chat with friends connected to the server on Piktochat— the first “cell phone feature” many Gen-Zers knew! Looking back on our childhood, Nintendo DS’s were always in high demand.  Nintendo continued to extend the product by creating the DSi in 2008, and eventually the 3DS in 2011. Despite the slight differences, each model still read the same popular games such as Super Mario Bros., Mario Kart, Mario Party, Cooking Mama, and Nintendogs.

Overall, significant memories are created from specific objects present around us.  So many toys and unique inventions were available to the 2000’s generation, creating lasting nostalgia for the duration of our lives.  In an effort to figure out which toys were remembered the most, a poll was taken by participating Pennridge Students. Several options were available to choose but ultimately, only two options made the cut.  Webkinz was the majority vote with Nintendo DS’s not lagging far behind. It is funny how simple objects in life create such lasting impressions, don’t you think?