Perfect Imperfections

Mary Kate Levush, Journalism Student

The idea of self-image has been a hot topic of conversation for generations now. Our self-image revolves around the way that we see ourselves based upon our personalities and how we look. Most issues that generate from lack of self-esteem revolve around our appearance. A common trend of low self-esteem can be found mostly amongst teenagers because we are learning how to grow into our bodies and the people that we want to become. The pressures of society around us affect these feeling, especially in today’s world of social media. According to research conducted by the Family Doctor, approximately 80 percent of women in the United States do not like the way that they look while about 34 percent of men struggle with their self-image as well. “I think that it is something that everyone experiences at one point in their life,” Lauren Schuler, a student-athlete, commented about the issue. She added that “some people have different expectations for themselves and see the standards of society differently.”

Our self-image is an important factor in our lives and so having this burden of low self-confidence can take a toll on a person and who they are. Despite the fact that there is much more awareness and support in the modern time surrounding this topic, many continue to fall victim under this daunting issue. Self- image issues take a toll on our mental, emotional, and even physical state, creating an imbalance in our lives. Often times, a negative outlook on the way that we perceive ourselves can lead to a downward spiral into thoughts of depression, feelings of social anxiety, and even the development of an eating disorder.

While it may be unrealistic that the way someone views themselves will change overnight, there are ways to combat these negative effects and feelings to help work towards a positive self-image. Ashley Bierman, a Guidance Counselor at Pennridge High School, gave her input on ways to reach this feeling of self-love and acceptance. She commented that exercising, getting involved in the school, building healthy relationships, and finding a purpose for yourself are just a few of many steps that can be taken to enter a world of body positivity. “Do things that make you feel like you belong,” she mentions, noting that it is important to be enjoying these things that we do in life while also having the satisfaction of recognizing that purpose. Completing good deeds or just being active, allow others to feel much happier about the way they go about life, fueling that fire towards an overall outlook on the way they see themselves. Our actions and the people that we surround ourselves with help individuals reach a better mindset. A student at Pennridge, who requested to stay anonymous for this article, commented that those who you deem important in your life have a great value on the way that we perceive ourselves. “A lot of this idea that you need a good body to fit in is just in our heads and in reality, our body doesn’t matter when it comes to who our friends are.” This person also add that,  “if someone judges your friendship on how you look, then do you really want to fit in with them?” Surrounding ourselves with positive influences in our lives opens a doorway for people to feel good about who they are as a whole. When we see the love that the people around us have for us, it allows us to, while it may be slowly, love ourselves once more.