Start Your Morning off on the Right Foot

Kiley Watson, Staff Writer

How you start the beginning of the day will dictate how the rest of your day will play out. Constructing a solid morning routine will prepare you for your A-game every day! You might be like some people who like to maximize their sleeping. This may cause for a hectic morning of rushing out the door to make it to school on time– don’t worry, everyone has days like this.

Just don’t make it a habit! We’ll share other students’ experiences and give some tips that will help you start your day off great every day.

You might be like some people who like to maximize their sleeping. This may cause for a hectic morning of rushing out the door to make it to school on time– don’t worry, everyone has days like this.

When it comes to getting ready in the morning, people typically think that females are more likely to take a longer time than males. When we sat down with two high school seniors, Charis Edwards and Sean Miller, it seemed to be flipped.

“It takes me anywhere from ten to fifteen minutes to get ready in the morning”, said Charis Edwards. Sean Miller says that it takes him about thirty minutes to get himself ready for the day. It is super important to get yourself ready to go for the day ahead so that way you can tackle each responsibility throughout the day. Each person is going to be different when it comes to how long they take in the morning. As long as you give yourself enough time to get ready, then that’s all you need to worry about.

The most common things that slow people down in the morning is eating breakfast, getting their hair/makeup done, and just getting out of bed altogether. When it comes to initially waking up in the morning, Sean Miller says that you have to “force yourself to stand and move when you first hear your alarm”. Some of us have a bad habit of automatically hitting the snooze button. It is one of the hardest habits to break, but it’s easy to keep up with it once you stop relying on the snooze button altogether!

We conducted a survey representing a small sample of seniors, and only sixty percent think that they have a good morning routine. So, what are some ways to improve your morning routine? We have a few pieces of insight that hopefully, you can start to apply in your daily life:

1. Set out clothes the night before.

This is a classic way to cut down on time in the morning, but it can be overlooked. Some days, it may seem easy to pick out an outfit and go with it. On other days, you could be standing in front of your closet for a solid ten minutes and still have no idea what you want to wear. By setting out your clothes the night before, you will become more efficient with your time.

1. Meditate

Sacrificing a few minutes of sleep to meditate or get some quality breathing in is a great idea! You will feel more awake after your session of meditation, which will help you become more alert and ready for the day.

1. Eat breakfast

As they say, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Your body doesn’t like skipping meals, so it’s crucial that you make time to get a quality breakfast before the day begins. For some people, they don’t eat until later in the day, which could lead you to feel sluggish due to the lack of a fuel source. Eat a good breakfast to have the energy you need for the day!

Hopefully, you are able to take away some new techniques and practices that you can apply to your own morning routine.