A deep dive guide to adventures in Aruba

Lindsay Hapak, Student Writer

I travelled my first time internationally to the “One Happy Island” of Aruba on August 2nd, 2018 where I stayed at the Marriott’s Aruba Surf Club. Landing in Aruba was one of the most breath-taking sights I had ever seen. It was the first time I had observed the turquoise colored Caribbean ocean through my own eyes, rather than on various social media platforms. The calmness of the Caribbean ocean instantly gave me a sense of calmness and tranquillity within myself. Stepping out of the dry atmosphere onto the plane into the hot sun was liberating, as the Trade Winds blew strong throughout my hair. The ride to the airport from the hotel was extremely fast, as in Aruba the speed limit is 80 mph, yet cars were going much more than that. Passing through the Island I noticed it was very Americanised with familiar stores scattered throughout the island.

The island of Aruba is safe and family friendly. There are many little gems and adventures that contained within the island. Excursions are extremely accessible, as paddle boarding, kayaking, snorkelling, boat rides, and parasailing are offered right on the beach. I highly recommend Jolly Pirates Sailing Cruises and Snorkelling, which takes you on around a three hour adventure to various snorkelling locations, including a WW2 German shipwreck. The shipwreck is located in 60 feet dark blue waters. 

The dark blue water at first seems daunting, and ominous, but once you jump in its truly an exquisite sight. As schools of brightly colored fish circle below you around the now inhabited shipwreck. The next two locations are located closer to shore, where the water is much shallower. The bright blue water is extremely clear to the point that you can see the ocean floor. At these two locations you can dive in and observe the coral reefs up close. 

If you are looking for a bite to eat, I suggest going to the Flying Fishbone. The Flying Fishbone is on the expensive side, but well worth the money for the experience. You can reserve dinner tables that are in the water. As you dine tiny fish pass below you. 

If you plan on travelling to Aruba in the future make sure you bring sunscreen, and hair ties. Since the island is located in the Trade Winds, it experiences high winds.