How to Prepare For a Presentation

Jennifer Hilmer, Student Writer

The most anxious time if assigned, presenting in front of the class. About 75 percent of people/students all over are scared of public speaking. You can’t make an effective presentation if you read from a script, rely too much on notes, or use your slides as cue cards. Preparing a presentation can be an overwhelming experience if you allow it to be one. The strategies are provided to help you break down what you might view something so nerve racking, to be a breeze.

• Take the time to research your topic/create a great title:

Know what you are talking about, Do not procrastinate and just wing the topic that you are presenting on. There is a greater chance that you will get nervous and mess up when you get in front of an audience. Prepare yourself. This also helps if the audience has questions, you’ll be able to answer them without hesitation. Then create a great title that will draw the audience in!

• Make sure you do not overload your presentation with examples or facts.

When structuring your presentation, make sure the pacing and order of facts and examples make sense. Do not offer too many examples. Using examples to explain complicated concepts or processes is a good strategy, but make sure you’re not giving examples just to give examples. It helps condense the presentation a bit, and it helps focus on the main information for your topic.

• Arrive early.

If you’re late to the setting where you are presenting, don’t be. That will stress you out. Try to not even arrive on time. Be EARLY. It gives off a good impression. You’ll be able to give yourself the time to prepare, and go over some last minute notes. 

• Rehearse!

Practice makes perfect. Say the presentation to yourself and  maybe even ask yourself constantly, “Would you want to sit through this presentation?”. Make sure you know how your going to present yourself. Know how to stand, how your going to keep your body still in a professional way. You’ll make a good impression on your audience if you are confident in your topic, we’re it shows people how passionate you are about your topic. 

The goal by the end of the presentation is to show people how well invested and how much you learned about the topic. Using some of these strategies, it will help you feel less nervous when you get up there in front of the crowd. Now get up there, you’ll do great!