When Rubber Bands Were Cool To Play With

Jordyn O'Brien, Student Writer

Every young girl in the 2000’s begged their parents for the newest trending toy that came onto the market. Girls jumped at the chance to get their hands on their very own rainbow loom. Each loom came with packs of rubber bands in hundreds of colors, a loom, clips to attach the ends, and a hook. As a child I remember constantly asking my parents for one of these rainbow looms set with all the charms and rubber band colors I could think of. In 2013, rainbow loom became one of the most popular toys for children. Shelves were stocked with these looms and the rubber bands were being sold like they were one of a kind. It even sparked businesses within elementary and middle schools among the children. Kids of all ages would sell their bracelets to those who didn’t have a rainbow loom kit. Who knew that something so simple could have the biggest impact on someone’s childhood. 

My rainbow loom bracelets were my pride and joy. I remember I would sit in my room everyday and make bracelets for everyone even if they didn’t want one. I interviewed Raina Adelman, a senior at Pennridge High School. I asked her a few questions about her memories with the rainbow loom. Raina expressed her love for the rubber bands bracelets and all the joy they brought her. She mentioned that she got her first kit around 4th grade. She states, “I was so excited to join in on this new trend that I thought was so cool at the time.” Looking back, it is crazy to see how obsessed we all were with rubber bands that could be used in our hair. It’s times like these that we take for granted because we don’t realize the memories that we were making that we will remember forever. Whenever you see someone with one of these bracelets it immediately brings you the nostalgia of sitting on your floor with your friends looming rubber band bracelets for hours on end. Raina quoted “I still have my rainbow loom tucked away in my basement because I just can’t seem to get rid of it.” I also interviewed another senior at Pennridge High School named Ava Goodman. Ava states “Some of my fondest memories of my childhood was making rainbow loom bracelets with friends and getting to sell and trade them for a small amount of money, but at the time it felt like I was rich.” It is important to remember the good times in life and relate them to things that come up in your life.

Looking back on the good ole days brings endless amounts of serotonin to those who take the time to think about memories. Rainbow loom opened up new ways of entertainment for young children across the world that our parents and generations before us never got to experience. Growing up during this craze will always be a part of my life and I’m happy that I am able to reminisce about the times I had with this product. I’ll never forget hanging out with friends trying to create new types of bracelets and accomplish making the super difficult ones. A lot of us will never forget our very first rainbow loom kit.