Christmas Eve Traditions

Megan Pole, Student Writer

Many families have Christmas Eve traditions that their family holds dear. Many traditions have been around for many decades, with their roots having special importance to each family. Some eat Chinese food on Christmas Eve, go to midnight mass at church, or even open an early Christmas gift. Regardless of the tradition, they are long lasting with many meanings behind them.

Setting our cookies for Santa Claus is a popular tradition amongst American children. This is linked back to the traditional feast of jolly old St. Nick! Saint Nicholas would have a feast on December 6th, however it has evolved to being a Christmas Eve tradition! The children at this feast would often leave out treats for Saint Nicholas and his attendants. Jennifer Pole, a Seylar employee, shared that she and her family set out Christmas cookies every Christmas Eve. “We started the tradition when our children were younger, and we have kept doing it over the years,” she claimed. 

Other families indulge in other traditions such as going to midnight mass for Christmas Eve. The tradition of a midnight mass ceremony began in the Eastern part of the world. It began being observed in the late 4th century in Jerusalem. Pope Sixtus the third brought this tradition to the Western world in the year 430. Olivia Padfield, a Pennridge student, commented on her family’s tradition. “Every Christmas Eve we go to midnight mass after hanging out with my grandparents,” Olivia explained. This tradition, common in America, keeps people up late at night to celebrate the birth of Christ. Other similar traditions to this include going to church late at night on Christmas Eve, but not at midnight. Several variations of this tradition exist, and every family celebrates a little bit differently. 

In many European countries, such as Austria, Germany, and Poland open Christmas presents on December 24th. This is due to the Reformation during the 16th and 17th centuries, which moved the date of gift giving from December 6th to the 24th. The biblical Magi, who brought Christ gifts in the manger, is thought to have inspired the tradition of gift giving. 

Even though every family celebrates Christmas Eve a little differently, the day is special to many people across the world. The range of traditions is vast, ranging from leaving out Christmas cookies for Santa or having large Christmas Eve feasts. All of these historical, long-lasting traditions have allowed for a diverse, but special day for many people and cultures.