Swinging into Paychecks: The Fun of Working at a Ropes Course

Riley Denton, Student Writer

Getting paid is a highlight for most Americans but getting paid to do something you enjoy is even better. While this is a dream for most, it is reality for Pennridge senior Nick Rosica. Over the summer and into the winter, Nick worked at the Hellerick’s Family Farm Ropes Course and got to make money while having a good time. When asked about the enjoyment of his job, Rosica glowingly responded saying “It was a really cool experience, working was enjoyable. I was up there, you know, hanging around. “

Hellerick’s Family Farm Ropes Course

The start of the workday is the worst part for most, but for Nick, he got to start every shift off with the highlight of his morning. A normal day in the workplace for Nick began with him doing the course itself, to ensure no parts had broken, and it was safe for customers to go on. While most people pay to do Hellerick’s Family Farm’s course, Nick got paid to do it. After testing the ropes, the course would open, and Nick’s official workday would begin. “I would check and make sure that customers had safety waivers, and then get them all harnessed up. There would be a short talk about safety, and then I would wait around and chill until someone needed my help and then I would go up and get them.” Rosica explained when asked about his daily routine.

One customer who found their way into the ropes course, and got to see Nick in action, is fellow Pennridge senior Justin Nichols. In early September, Justin stopped by the course with his family and was surprised to find out his friend Nick would be taking them through the course that day. “I was excited to see Nick there,” Justin stated. “He looked like he was enjoying his job, he was very actively parkouring around the course.” From Justin’s standpoint, the job looked easy enough for most physically fit students to be able to easily handle this unique, fun job. When asked about his experience at the course, Justin stated “The customer service was wonderful, and Nick did a great job. I would go back again. I went because the course looked fun, and it was.”

Despite not knowing anyone heading into his new job this summer, Nick still enjoyed his time as an employee for Hellerick’s Family Fun Ropes Course. Nick spoke highly of his summer job stating “It was a cool job. I would 100% recommend working there, it’s an enjoyable atmosphere.” Nick got to work with a fun group and enjoy himself each day, all the while being paid for it.