Bojangles: The Southern Superior?

The cajun-style chicken restaurant by the name of Bojangles is a favorite down in the southern parts of the country of America. The company, co-founded by Jack Fulk, got its famous name from the song “Mr. Bojangles” when it appeared on the radio. The company was founded in 1977, and since then, all of the Bojangles locations have been strictly in the southern states, but as of November 2022, Bojangles has moved up to Pennsylvania. As far as anybody knows, Bojangles could be any old fast-food restaurant. Pennsylvanians are accustomed to Popeye’s or Chick-Fil-A, but many locals have admitted to being excited about trying the new chicken joint. While some people are eager to test out the new restaurant because it’s new and different, how does it compare to what Pennsylvanians know best, aka, Chick-Fil-A, or Popeye’s?

In a survey given at Pennridge High School, 60.6 percent of the students and staff participating in the survey reported having never been to a Bojangles before. Out of this demographic, 30.4 percent said they were excited to try it, by selecting the 4 on the 1-5 scale (5 being can’t wait to try Bojangles). Chick-Fil-A appears to reign in the chicken industry, however, as 84 percent of students and staff voted the restaurant was better than Bojangles. 45 percent of the survey takers claimed that the food from Bojangles was of “decent” quality, and 58.8 percent agreed they would go to Bojangles again.

Two students with different views on Bojangles shared their perspectives, one of them being overly positive, while the other was not so thrilled with his experience. One of the sources, Pennridge Senior Nathan Esbenshade, stated that at first he was “decently shocked” at the size of the menu, both in-store and online, however, when he tried Bojangles for the first time, he was disappointed with the food. Esbenshade stated that there was “not much being lived up to” and the service was not the best. Esbenshade remarked that compared to Chick-Fil-A, Bojangles is worse; Chick-Fil-A has “better chicken” and is “better managed.” The senior also said that he thinks the popularity of Bojangles at the moment is due to its newness, and that he thinks it will have a burst of popularity, and then die down.

Another Pennridge Senior, Michael Yencha, is on the complete opposite side when it comes to Bojangles. An avid Bojangles enthusiast, Yencha has been to Bojangles (he estimates) around six times since its opening a month ago. When asked about the menu, Yencha said that the signature “Botato rounds” are “heaven in a little hashbrown form” and has equated walking into Bojangles for the first time to the Emerald City from the Wizard of Oz. “It felt like walking into Emerald City,” Yencha said, and then proceeded to defend some more negative attitudes towards the restaurant, saying, “people are saying it’s mid but they haven’t truly experienced it.”

In my personal experience going to Bojangles, I would agree with Nathan Esbenshade that the service is decent, but it’s nothing compared to Chick-Fil-A. The chicken could have had more seasoning on it, but overall, it was cooked well and the outside was crispy without it being over-cooked on the inside. The interior of Bojangles was a bit crowded and very reminiscent of McDonald’s, but with less space. Michael Yencha stated that the biscuits at Popeye’s were “life-changing”, with Bojangles in second place, and I would have to agree. They were fluffy on the inside with a crispy, crunchy top layer, but I would give the first-place biscuit to Popeye’s over Bojangles. The location is in the middle of Quakertown, right up the road from Popeye’s, and the access is easy, but the parking lot is a bit tight. Their menu is just as large in person as it is online, and one of the aspects I was most pleased with was their side options, or as they call them, “fixins”. Along with your chicken fingers, you are able to order a side of mac n cheese, coleslaw, fries, Botato rounds, or more to accompany your meal. Not only do they allow you to order sides with your meal, but they also provide large sauce packets that are worth your money. The interior is welcoming, with warm colors like yellow and orange to brighten up the place.

Overall, I would recommend Bojangles, and I would go back, but it is not a southern superior.