Inside Look at Unified Sports at Pennridge

Pennridge Unified Sports Team

Coach Fehnel and Coach James never would have thought their small running club in 2011 would turn into a successful Unified Sports Team that would be recognized by the Special Olympics. Both coaches used to train on Mondays with a few students for 5k’s. It started off small. Then Coach James was asked by the Special Olympics to become a coach for Unified Sports. The running club and the Special Olympics reaching out is what started the Unified Sports Team at Pennridge. 

Both coaches used to run in high school, so they said they have seen their fair share of bad coaches. Their goal was to be the best coaches that they could be for their team. James and Fehnel both said they are natural coaches because they are energetic and competitive. They have coached other sports in previous jobs and have always loved working with kids with disabilities. So combining the two was a no-brainer. Another one of their goals was to “want the kids with disabilities to have a real high school experience”. This team re-sparked the excitement for school for these kids, it gave them something else to look forward to and to be thrilled about. They love to coach because they get to work with their students but also get to meet new kids they wouldn’t normally meet. They voiced that the team is a great place for everyone to form new friendships and bonds with others, including themselves. 

When asked what the most challenging aspect of coaching was, they said it was “knowing the fine line of what is pushing too hard”. Some students have more physical disabilities and the coaches want to see them do their best but also not push them too far. Coach James said that “you have to be able to gage their emotions and determine how they are feeling because some of their communication skills are not the best”. She also mentioned that there is a lot of behind the scenes work when coaching the Unified Team and it can be very daunting. 

An important aspect of being a coach is keeping your team motivated. Both coaches said that positive reinforcement is crucial. Coach Fehnel also voiced to “try and celebrate the little things”. The partners and athletes really begin to form a connection and friendship through Unified Sports. It is a great way to get involved, exercise, and make new friends. 

Those who participate in Unified Sports show physical and emotional growth. The athletes learn to work well with others, stay fit, and form friendships as well as build confidence, have fun with friends and coaches. The coaches said a student who has low self-esteem when it comes to physical activity is pushed to do their best so they can build confidence and see personal growth. Unified Sports is not just a high school activity, but these students can participate their entire life. They can go to any Special Olympics event. Unified Sports is a lifelong activity where these students can build connections with others, improve social skills, and stay active for their entire future. This team teaches each student work ethic, routine, responsibility, and how to be a team player, all positive skills and lessons that each one of them can benefit from having in their futures.